Kilwa...
Sometimes in the year 2012 I decided that I could not take anymore of the craziness in Dar. I had just finished Law school, didn't have a serious job, was doing Internship with a Law firm in town. I decided to apply for a government job in Kilwa Masoko, Lindi, in the Southern part of Tanzania.
My friends laugh at me because I went there for all the wrong reasons! It wasn't that I loved the job so much, I just needed to get away. I remember googling "Beach Hotels" in Kilwa, and looking at the Hotels, imagining a whole new life in a new place, new friends, new job, honestly it was exactly what I needed!
I got the job, and I packed my stuff and went!
I think deep down I knew I would not last for too long, so I never released my apartment here in Dar. It was amazing, really.
Everything was different, the work was boring obviously, hardly anything to do. I spent most of my days just listening, observing how Magistrates conducted their Cases, had lunch and by 3pm I was free!
The Office was paying for a Hotel for me until I found a place to stay. Sadly it wasn't a hotel by the beach, but I didn't mind. Kilwa Masoko is a small town and most beach hotels were like 10 minutes walk from my hotel.
So every day after I left the Office, I would go back to my hotel, change, and head to the beach.
My favourite place to hang out was called Kimbilio Lodge. A small cozy place by the beach, almost always empty. Check it out here ... just looking at the pictures brings back memories, the road that can be seen from the gate, I have walked that road so so many times!
I would take my book, put earphones on and head there. A cocktail in one hand, a book in another, music in my ears and the ocean in front of me, I could not have been happier.
The place was run by an Italian Couple, the guy was a professor in some University in Italy and the lady I'm not very sure, they took to me and we became friends, which meant staying for dinner almost every day as their guest! Such good times...
I worry that I have lost that adventurous touch! Maybe it comes with age...or advancement career wise? For me to change jobs now, move to a different town, requires thorough thinking, planning, weighing things...and really where's the fun in that? Sigh..
I have never gone back to Kilwa since I resigned...oh, yes I resigned after two months lol! Got bored, things got serious, the Office insisted that I find a place to stay and move from the Hotel, and I started missing my life in Dar. So I packed up and came back, got another job in less than a month and became the current dull and boring human being!!LOL
I was going through some folders in my old Laptop and found pictures from my days in Kilwa, hence this post! Funny how I never really explored the place. Apart from the beach, I never really did much else. There's the famous Kilwa Kivinje, a historical place, not far from Kilwa Masoko, yet it never even occurred to me to visit.
I have this itch to travel, and I can't stop thinking about Kilwa...Sigh. Well honestly I think I wouldn't mind going anywhere, even if it's just Morogoro...just want the road, some nice laid back music, and my thoughts...sigh. But then again, it's July, haven't had a break since December, so it makes sense that restlessness has started kicking in...
I remember the day those pictures were taken. A couple of colleagues and I went to Kilwa Dreams...its a beach located about 30 or so minutes from Kilwa Masoko. The beach was so clean, and as you can see from the pictures, you could walk for over 6 minutes headed into the ocean but the water would still be up to your knees only! perfect for those of us who can't swim!! lol! you can read about the lodge here and see pictures. It's not your typical luxury suite or anything, its pretty crude in fact, perfect for someone seeking something different, to experience nature at its finest!!
The second batch of pictures are from the beach strip that has Kimbilio Lodge, and Kilwa Ruins Hotel (click here.) I think now there's a new Hotel called Pakaya or something, it was still under construction when I was there. But a friend went to Kilwa and stayed there so it must be up and running by now. Yes it is...and I honestly like....Nature is great and all but well, this beats Kilwa Dreams right?
I know I promised to update the bucket list, and I will, maybe later today.
right now I am starving, I'm gonna run to have lunch...craving beans and chapati and i'm gonna have just that! isn't life great? LOL
Cheers for now!


Comments
Post a Comment